Dragon Medical Practice Edition
BEI is an authorized Dragon Medical Partner.
Download Dragon Medical Practice Edition Data Sheet
Dragon Medical Practice Edition is the most widely used speech recognition software in healthcare today. Dragon Medical Practice Edition is maintained and developed by Nuance, Inc., the leading developer of speech and imaging software worldwide. It is developed specifically for the healthcare field and has many unique features that make it the best speech recognition product for ambulatory physicians.
- It is used in over 5,000 provider organizations and by over 100,000 clinicians
- It is used in all care settings
- The product (and its predecessors) has been in development for over 20 years
- It has 95+% market share in the medical industry
- It was ranked #1 by KLAS in 2007
- Reduced transcription costs – By dictating directly into the computer, transcription costs can be eliminated or materially reduced, depending upon how the physician uses the software.
- Higher accuracy – The physician can review the note on the computer when it is dictated. There is no time lapse between the original dictation and the review. There is no misinterpretation of the spoken dictation.
- Faster turnaround – Notes can be dictated and proofed on the spot. Dictation can be initiated and completed in a matter of minutes. This provides better service to referring physicians. It also can speed up the billing process as supporting documentation is available in a shorter timeframe.
- Better quality – Dictation and proofing with visual review allows for the most accurate and detailed description of the patient encounter.
- Increased productivity – Compared to typing (as required by some EHRs), speaking is typically three times faster. In addition, some EHRs are “Dragon compatible”, and EHR screen navigation can occur via voice instead of “pointing and clicking”.
Just like any new tool or device, in order to be successful with Dragon Medical Practice Edition, proper plans must be developed and followed and proper training must be implemented. Every practice is different and will require its own plan. BEI will tailor a plan for your organization. The following checklist will be used as a basis to developing an implementation plan:
- Select the proper input device (headset, microphone, etc) (BEI, Practice Administrator)
- Determine the initial physician(s) to be trained (BEI, Practice Administrator)
- Complete the pre-training checklist (Practice Administrator)
- Perform analysis to determine the pre- and post-Dragon Medical workflow (BEI, Practice Administrator)
- Initial training (onsite) (BEI, Practice Administrator, Physician)
- Follow-up training (via Internet) (BEI, Physician)
- Follow-up review (phone) (BEI, Practice Administrator)
- Deploy Dragon Medical practice wide (BEI, Practice Administrator, all Physicians)
In addition to proper planning, it is important for the Practice Administrator and each Physician to understand that some time investment will be required in order to have a successful implementation and that the effectiveness of Dragon Medical Practice Edition will improve over time.
- Dragon Medical Practice Edition is the latest version of Dragon Medical. It was released in 2011.
- It is developed specifically for healthcare applications. Other Dragon products are made for other fields (e.g. Legal).
- Dragon Medical Practice Edition yields a 15 percent improvement in accuracy over previous Dragon Medical releases and contains additional features that will be especially beneficial to physicians in small practices.
- Dragon Medical Practice Edition supports more detailed documentation of patients’ history of present illness, more flexible review of symptoms, and more descriptive assessment and care plans. New features include Smart Configuration and Recognition Analytics.
- There are vocabularies for 80 healthcare specialties and subspecialties. This increases accuracy out of the box and decreases the time required to learn and configure the software.
- Regional accent support increases accuracy for accented speakers by using advanced adaptation techniques and accent-specific acoustic models.
- Users can achieve up to 99% accuracy. This decreases the amount of time required to proof dictation notes and increases productivity.
- Most users can speak three times faster than they type; therefore using Dragon Medical is much more productive than using a keyboard.
- Different input devices (headsets, microphones, voice recorders, etc.) can be used, providing more flexibility for end users.
- Different workflows (real time transcription, offline transcription, partial transcription) can be accommodated.
- It will work with virtually all EHRs. Some EHRs have integrated Dragon friendly features allowing for easier EHR screen navigation.
- Commonly used phrases and dictations can be prestored allowing for productivity enhancement.
- Transcription files are encrypted on the hard drive, making the software HIPAA compliant.
- Dragon Medical Practice Edition becomes more accurate over time. It is constantly self-correcting, through a variety of different mechanisms.
- The software is network compatible, allowing it to be used at any computer within the practice, or even with a home computer. There is no extra fee for using it on multiple computers.
- Server based user profiles allow for easy, centralized data backup.
BEI is one of the few authorized Dragon Medical Practice Edition Resellers that also operates a business-class IT practice. This allows clients to gain the benefits of the best speech recognition software in the healthcare industry AND use BEI’s expertise to optimize their use of healthcare IT to improve business operations.
Dragon Medical Practice Edition can be installed in a wide variety of different environments and can be configured in many differing ways. BEI can work with your practice to ensure that your Dragon Medical Practice Edition software is installed in the optimal way for your IT environment.
|Signup for the BE "Eye"
Tips to make your "computer life"
a little easier!